Sunday, September 18, 2011

My New Room and Age Group

Well change has happened. I have transitioned into an Infant Teacher at my day care. So I have redecorated my new room and the Infant sleep room. I hope you enjoy the pictures. It was hard work and I had fun doing it.

I looked through the Cricut cartridges I have on my Gypsy to see what would draw the infants interest. I found the Sesame Street Characters as they are known to the infants as they are on their diapers. The word infant came from the Sesame Street Font cartridge. Both my infants and former toddlers are drawn visually to look at the letters due to the visual knowledge of the characters they are familiar with.
 The Sesame Street letters are at a key point in the room. They can be seen everywhere in the room. The children can see them while eating, playing, and reading.


I made poster cards of the basics. Seen in the photo below is contrast with black and white flowers. It also introduces the number basics 1-9. Beside this is a poster card of the basic shapes and colours: blue, green, orange, purple, red, yellow, triangle, square, oval, circle, rectangle, and star. The children are young for these concepts but their eyes are drawn to look at, point, and trace the shapes. This is definitely the start to introducing these concepts.


A close-up of the posters.


 I made a birthday display. I cannot show my completed displays due to privacy rights with the child's photo. I will be adding the child's photo between their name and birthday. Below the birthday of the child I plan on attaching a cut out of their child's hand prints to truly create a benchmark of their size and look at this landmark age.

On the bottom edge of the cupboard you can also see more of my mobiles made from my classroom children's art. The infants painted the Cricut cartridge maple leaves with both their fingers and their paint brushes. The infants experimented with how to hold and use the paint brush as they created their leaf masterpiece.


 I made the children cubby tags with the Cricut cartridges. I used the Cricut machine to cut the apples with the child's name cut out of each apple. I used black and red scrapbook paper to create this item. Beside the cubbies I made a poster of the Alphabet from the Winnie the Pooh Font Cartridge. I made this out of the colours yellow, orange, red, green, and blue. This introduces the colour and the alphabet letter to the infants.

 A close-up of the cubby tags.

 A close-up of the Alphabet poster.

Our classroom patio door. A nice window to the outside world and nature. We look at this window everyday as we interact and play. We use this patio window/door to go outside and play in our play yard. It is a focal point in the room. I made 4 Winne the Pooh characters from the Winne the Pooh font cartridge. The characters are baby versions of Pooh, Tigger, Piglet and Eeyore. Both the infant and the toddlers are drawn to look and and touch the pictures on the window. I laminated each character with the Your Story so that I could tape around the images edges. The complete edge taping prevents my infant friends from being able to pick or tear the pictures. It also makes moving the pictures to different spots in the daycare possible too without damage to the art.

 A close-up of Pooh and Eeyore.

A close-up of Piglet and Tigger.

 Our sleep room door. I made the new sign for the door. I used the Hello Kitty Font to make the flower shape letter. I made Winnie the pooh shape from the Winne the Pooh cartridge.

 A close-up of the sign.

I made crib labels for the crib the infants use. I used Velcro circles to attach the children's names at the bottom of the square. I used the Velcro circles at the top to attach the Winnie the pooh characters to make them interchangeable on the Scrapbook paper backgrounds. All the Winnie-the-Pooh character shapes are off the Winnie the Pooh Cricut Cartridge.

A close- up of the Piglet crib sign.

The crib sign above the crib.

A close-up of the Eeyore crib sign.

The Eeyore sign above the crib.

A close-up of the Tigger Crib sign.

The Tigger crib sign above the crib.


 As the children in my room are not all full time or everyday I have other names of children that attend part-time. I attached on the wall Velcro dots to attach part-time children names not in attendance that day. This allows me to switch the crib labels each day to the children actually attending my classroom that day.

2 comments:

  1. Good job converting the room for the kids. The Patio Door with Pooh, Eeyore, Piglet and Tigger looks really cute. How does it feel teaching the kids? Is it fun?

    Katie Nicoll

    ReplyDelete